I read 33 books this year–9 more than last!
24 non-fiction/73% (19 last year/-6% last year)
9 fiction/27% (5 last year/+6% from last year)
4 audio/12% (10 last year/-30% from last year)
10 digital/30% (0 last year)
19 paper/58% (14 last year/0% change)
Far less audio this year–and a new category–the e-book. As you can see, this year, the e-book didn’t put any dents in the paper book reading, just made me read more books. I have to say I think this will dramatically change next year. A few months ago I started 12 Books, 12 Months and that (for me at least) required reading paper books. I know that upped the number of paper books I read!
Biggest surprise: That I’ve become an e-book CRAZY EVANGELIST. I never thought I’d like it, but I wanted to try it out, and woot had an e-reader that allowed library book checkout for under $100. It’s definitely the best thing I bought all year. I never worry about not having something to read. I use the library WAY more, especially because I don’t have to go in. I never have to carry heavy books. I never have overdues, both because the ebook system doesn’t allow them, and, if I had them on physical materials I wouldn’t be able to checkout electronic versions. I love it and I’d recommend them to anyone.
Biggest letdown: Out of the Ordinary by Jon Ronson. One of my favorite authors, I had to push myself to finish it, but the majority of the stories were SO boring. There were about two really excellent ones though!
- Superfreakonomics: unshocking
- Paper Towns & Will Grayson, Will Grayson: both John Green who I LOVE x 1000
- Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- American Gods: I didn’t hate American Gods I just have no idea why anyone LOVES it.
- A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again: I hated it so much I went on a cruise. When people say they love DFW, I judge them like they said they love Ayn Rand. Though I’ve never read his fiction, so maybe that’s awesome.
Books I could not finish this year:
- Fordlandia: Mega repetitive and made me realized I was far more interested in Henry Ford than in Fordlandia.
- The Shack: Oh Lordy. This was the most boring convoluted drivel ever. I’ve read THIRTEEN Left Behind books and I couldn’t read more than a couple dozen pages of this.
- Kraken: Because it expired! Waiting for it to be check outable again.
I most recommend: reading John Green and buying a non-Kindle e-reader.
Book tech: Big win for book tech this year though my library’s website and especially its downloadables have user-antagonistic websites. My first wish from last year was this!
Book Wish(es) for 2k11: Mostly the same things as last year: