12 Books, 12 Months

I have tried several times to read what is ON MY SHELVES.  Generally, as a librarian, I have very little attachment to keeping books.  i like to read em and get rid of them.  But sometimes, they accumulate.  Usually this is because they are uncomfortably large or too heavy to bring places.  Sometimes I start em over & over again and get sidetracked. I also have a couple of good friends who have access to free books which they send to me.  And I have been very lucky to get a lot of awesome books on bookmooch.  So they’re accumulating.

But then E had a great idea–12 Books, 12 Months!  Because of my previous failures, I’ve only committed halfway.  if that goes well, maybe we’ll work on the next 6!  The rules, in case you want to join:

12 Books, 12 Months Challenge

• Pick 12 titles from your To Read Pile.  These should be titles you currently own in whatever format you prefer.
  • Acquisition of other formats or translations is permitted.  So, if you have a paperback but want to read on your Kindle, you can get a Kindle copy.  If you have a library copy but want to buy your own, that’s kosher.  Heck, if you own a copy and want to check another out from the library, I’m not gonna stop you.
  • Post your list in your public space of choice by September 1, 2010.  If you prefer not to post, you can just leave a comment with your list.
  • Read all 12 titles between now and September 5, 2011.  Might as well tack on an extra long weekend at the end for cramming.
  • When you finish a title on your list, post about it in your public space of choice.  If you prefer not to post, you can just leave a comment with your review.
  • Once a month, I’ll post a round-up of the reviews posted from that month so that we all know what everyone else has read.

I’ll post my list here but my reviews will, as always, be on my goodreads page which feeds to facebook.

My list:

1. The Singing Creek Where the Willows Grow: The Mystical Nature Diary of Opal Whitley.–This is preceeded by a biography which is one of the most interesting things I have EVER read.  So I’ve been dragging out actually getting to the diary which doesn’t sound as awesome. (bookmooch acquire)
  2. Out of the Ordinary by Jon Ronson–Jon Ronson is one of my favorite authors but I started this book and HATED it.  So hopefully I can finish it. (bookmooch acquire)
  3. My Booky Wook by Russell Brand–I LOOOOVE Russell Brand. This book is the opposite of what I expected and so I put it down. (free copy from friend)
  4. A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace–I 30% love/70% hate DFW but I haven’t read that much so I am hoping to up that percentage.  I find him jerkily demeaning of Midwesterners, something that fills me with rage. (bought at airport)
  5. Blank Spots on the Map: The Dark Geography of the Pentagon’s Secret World by Trevor Paglen–I bought this book new, which I almost never ever do.  I love conspiracy weirdness and everything Paglen’s done.  I started this and it was way too….old man military for me.  But then we went on vacation near some of the bases mentioned and it revived my interest.
  6. The Biggest Secret by David Icke–This is a crazy conspiracy theory book about how the world is controlled by lizards.  I am seeing Icke speak in October, so I should read it, finally.  (free copy from friend, free ebook copy dnlded)

So keep us honest! And join us–I know you have some books you could get rid of! And when you’re done, bookmooch em!

16 comments

1. nanette says:

I will play your silly game! It will give me an excuse to use that awesome new domain name I bought last month.

2. Dan Wright says:

I might do this, but that’s not why I’m commenting. When/where are you seeing Icke? Does it cost money? Cause if it’s in Chicago and it’s cheap I *totally* want to go too.

3. jenny says:

Unfortunately, he’s speaking in NYC next month and LA next year–no Chicago plans so far. And yes, it’s like 60 bucks! But it’s an EIGHT HOUR LECTURE!

4. jenny says:

And Nanette–awesome….what’s the domain?

5. Mark says:

As you probably already know, I’m in.

6. Nanette says:

it’s recoveringenglishmajor.com. There’s nothing there yet. I need to set up WordPress or whatever and do something with it.

7. Heidi says:

I wonder if I can bend the rules a bit… since 99% of my little personal library is in storage at the moment? Could I just make myself read 12 books that I either borrow from a person or the library here, or get from our crappy book exchange?

8. jenny says:

As a Chicagoan, I support bending the rules wherever it makes it easier for you, Heidi!

Go for it!

9. Stephanie says:

I’ll play your reindeer game! September 1st is a good start date for me since I should be done with As I Lay Dying (random, right?) by then. I’ll peruse the shelves at home and see what I got. I tend to just reread things I have already read and enjoyed. Hence my expert knowledge of all things Jane Austen.

10. jenny says:

steph you should join goodreads so i can see what you’re reading. I like seeing what people are reading.

And yeah you have a lot of bookshelves, so I am sure you’ll find something!

11. Stephanie says:

But I am so lazy!

12. Stephanie says:

My list:

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
    Jared says this is his favorite novel EVA and gave it to me as a present years ago. I should probably be a nice girlfriend and get around to reading it at some point.

Bridge on the Drina by Ivo Andric. I was supposed to read this in a class in college about the Ottoman Empire. ‘Supposed to’ should be noted. Time to learn about some Serbs!

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. I like Woolf a lot and never got around to reading this one.

Jailbird by Kurt Vonnegut. The copy we have is a super old and dusty paperback that was probably published in the early 80s. That’s my favorite kind of paperback. Your kindle/nook/whathaveyou doesn’t smell or have brittle pages, and therefore I feel sorry for you.

Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov. We seem to have a bunch of random Nabokov books. (Jared likes Russians.) Why not read one?

13. jenny says:

Master & Margarita is good, Steph, though I prefer his Heart of a Dog.

Speak, Memory is not a novel, but a memoir, fyi.

The dusty smell makes me sneeze. 🙂

14. Stephanie says:

I didn’t realize I did not know how to count. I only listed 5 books. Geez. I came back to this ‘list’ so I could remember what I listed. I sort of cheated. I read my books (except Speak, Memory because I couldn’t find it at the time I needed a new book and grabbed Glory by Nabokov) and have been reading a ton of other books in addition. I finally got around to at least listing them on goodreads. My user name is AWESOME: drunklady69

I didn’t review shit, though.

15. jenny says:

that is the most brilliant username evar.